YOU WILL NEED
• one 15cm wick
• one wick holder
• one tin can
• 750g soy wax flakes
• essential oils (optional)
1. Insert the wick into a wick holder and place in the centre of the bottom of an old, clean tin can (make sure it’s one without serrated edges).
2. In a pan over medium heat, melt the wax flakes and mix thoroughly, adding a few drops of essential oil if you wish. Heat to 90°C.
3. Anchor the wick in the bottom of the tin by pouring in enough wax to cover a few centimetres of the wick. Allow the wax to cool for about 30 minutes.
4. Wrap the end of the wick around a stick or pencil and rest the stick on the top of the tin, taking up any slack in the wick as you do so.
5. Reheat the wax to 90°C and fill the tin to within 2cm of the top. Cool overnight. Trim the wick to a centimetre. Your candle is ready to light.
Alternatively, reuse jam jars or pretty tea cups as candle holders.
Subscribe to BBC Countryfile Magazine today and you can enjoy generous savings from the shop price plus, free UK delivery and discounts off special editions and back issues.