Onions are an essential ingredient in every kitchen, but few people know about their health benefits. This rich, hearty soup from BBC Good Food celebrates the humble healer.
You will need
• 50g butter
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1kg onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 tsp sugar
• 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 250ml dry white wine
• 1.3l hot, strongly flavoured beef (or veg) stock
• 4-8 slices French bread
• 140g Gruyere cheese, finely grated
1. Melt the butter with the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 minutes until soft. Sprinkle in the sugar and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden and caramelised.
2. Add the garlic and cook the onions for a
few more minutes, ensuring they don’t burn, then sprinkle in the flour and stir well. Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the wine, followed by the hot stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Toast the bread under the grill, then ladle the soup into heatproof bowls. Put a slice of toast on top of the soup and pile on the cheese. Grill until melted. Alternatively, complete the toast under the grill, then serve them on top.
For more delicious recipes, visit BBC Good Food.
Main image: BBC Good Food Magazine/Will Heap
Subscribe to BBC Countryfile Magazine today and you can enjoy generous savings from the shop price plus, free UK delivery and discounts off special editions and back issues.