Seven country inns have been named a list of the 16 best real ale pubs in the country.
The Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) declared the 16 as regional winners in its annual awards today.
All 16 now go on to compete for the coveted title of National Pub of the Year, to be announced in early 2018.
Best in West Pennines
The Drovers Rest: Monkhill, Cumbria
Close to Hadrian’s Wall path, with a cosy bar area and log fire in winter, plus lots of choice for real ale drinkers.
Best in Yorkshire
George & Dragon, Hudswell
Yorkshire-brewed beers, the Camra judges enjoyed the ‘great food’. The pub also boasts a library, shop and allotments. Enjoy views over the Swale Valley from the large beer terrace.
Best in the North East
The Office, Morpeth, Northumberland
This tiny pub in the handsome market town of Morpeth is a back-to-basics experience: no food or music but five handpulls, all of local origin, and three real ciders.
Best in Scotland and Northern Ireland
The Bridge Inn, Peebles, Tweeddale
A single-roomed town-centre pub overlooking the Tweed. Camra praises the ‘bright, comfortable bar’ decorated with jugs, bottles, memorabilia of outdoor pursuits and photos of old Peebles.
Best in the South West
The Salutation Inn, Ham, Gloucestershire
Seven real ales, nine real ciders and perries, an on-site microbrewery (Tiley’s), three bars, skittles alley, plus food at weekend lunchtimes. Folk nights and singalongs. Camra’s national pub of the year in 2014.
Best in Wales
The Druid Inn, Goginan, Ceredigion
A family-run pub offering guest beers and a range of bottled real ales and ciders. Occasional music nights and beer festivals. Seven miles east of Aberystwyth.
Best in Wessex
Wonston Arms, Wonston, Hampshire
Serves a choice of four beers – often from local breweries such as Flowerpots and Red Cat. Look out for folk music nights, too.
• Merseyside and Cheshire: The Cricketers, St Helens
• Greater Manchester: Wigan Central, Wigan
• East Midlands: Just Beer, Newark, Nottinghamshire
• West Midlands: The Weavers Real Ale House, Kidderminster, Worcestershire
• East Anglia: Stanford Arms, Lowestoft, Suffolk. No website. 94 Stanford St, NR32 2DD. Tel 01502 587444.
• Surrey / Sussex: Anchored, Worthing
• Central/south: Nag’s Head, Reading, Berkshire
• Kent: Flower Pot, Maidstone
• London: The Hope, Carshalton
• More information about the awards, and help finding good real ale pubs near you, from Camra.
Subscribe to BBC Countryfile Magazine today and you can enjoy generous savings from the shop price plus, free UK delivery and discounts off special editions and back issues.