Originating in the Middle East, the cultivated fava bean reached British tables in the Iron Age. Experience the delicious taste of this versatile ingredient with our fava bean bessara.
- 400g split dried fava beans
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- To serve: cumin, paprika, olive oil
1. Place the beans and garlic in a large pan, cover with 1.5 litres cold water and cook on a medium high heat for around 40 minutes until they are soft, skimming occasionally.
2. Puree the beans and garlic, either by hand or in a food processor. Stir in the olive oil, spices and lemon juice. Add a little water if required until the desired consistency.
3. Serve the bessara hot, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with cumin and paprika.
Learn more about fav beans here.
Main image ©Keiron Tovell
Subscribe to BBC Countryfile Magazine today and you can enjoy generous savings from the shop price plus, free UK delivery and discounts off special editions and back issues.